Stefan Brunné was a painter, composer and lexicographer. He was born on 13 November 1905 in Petersburg (Russia), and died on 7 February 1999 in Valley Cottage (New York). He graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw. In the mid-war period, he lived and worked in Warsaw. Arrested on 12 August 1944 during the Warsaw Uprising, he was a political prisoner in the Oranienburg concentration camp until the end of the war.
Liberated by the Soviet army in April 1945 in Grabow, and being seriously ill, he spent a month in a Soviet hospital. In June 1945 he came back to Poland. He settled down in Sulęcin where he met Olga Grandenburo, with whom he lived at 2 Żeromskiego Street and 26 1 Maja Street, respectively. In August 1945 he became an official in charge of culture and art at the District Authorities' Office in Sulęcin. In 1946 he founded and managed F. Chopin Music School in Sulęcin and a Music Centre in the District. The school offered a high level of education and its pupils achieved good results. In 1950 Brunné was employed in the local Secondary School at the position of a teacher of drawing. In the years 1964-68 he visited the USA and Italy twice. He spent the last years of his life at his sister's in the USA.
Stefan Brunné went down in the history of Sulęcin in a unique manner. In March 1957 the first individual exhibition of Brunné's works in Sulęcin attracted more than 200 visitors. Stefan Brunné's paintings and drawings were also presented in Wrocław, Gorzów Wlkp., Lubniewice, Zielona Góra, Kraków, Bełchatów, Warsaw and four times in Sulęcin. In 1960 he was awarded the Lubusz Cultural Award by the People's Provincial Council in Zielona Góra for his achievements in fine arts in the past 15 years of his stay in the Lubuski Region.
Stefan Brunné lived and worked in Sulęcin in the years 1945 – 1981. A commemorative plaque was placed on the building in which he used to live, at 2 Mickiewicza Square in Sulęcin.